Physicians and executives don’t have time for abstract, “soft” discussions. Our physician leadership work is hands-on and practical. We provide concrete skills your leaders can immediately use. Our services are tailored for your group and include educational programs, individual and team coaching, and organizational consulting.
CPL is dedicated solely to healthcare leadership development. It is a partnership that combines extensive experience in healthcare leadership with expertise in complex organizational and human dynamics. Our customized approach to your organization gives your physician leaders the sustainable skills they need to be effective in their roles and to deliver the results required for your organization.
The CPL Difference
With our extensive industry knowledge and experience, we help build physician leaders who are proactive, collaborative and committed to the mission of your organization.
CPL gives your leaders the leadership skills they need
Physician leaders are frequently overwhelmed by the challenges they face. They have told us that they are “drinking from the fire hose” while “herding cats”. High achieving individuals accustomed to success are often frustrated by their lack of progress in their leadership position. CPL gives your leaders the leadership skills needed to be effective with their colleagues and the ability to be resilient and adaptable in their organization.
Physicians, after leadership training, will be skilled in three very critical areas:
In Leading Themselves:
- Becoming self-aware, authentic leaders
- Excelling at managing their own emotions
- Demonstrating a high degree of professionalism
In Leading Others:
- Building positive, reciprocal relationships
- Learning to foster an environment of trust and collaboration
- Becoming exemplary communicators who can adapt personal style
- Delegating effectively and keeping others accountable
- Developing effective teams and enhancing collegiality
In Leading the Organization:
- Seeing the big picture and thinking strategically
- Using a team-based approach to problem-solving
- Having a systems focus
- Creating “win-win” scenarios
Investing in physician training brings major benefits to the entire organization
Whatever form healthcare change may take on a national level, the future for hospitals is clear: the only way to maintain quality while thriving is to eliminate waste, redundancy, and variation.
Whether it’s called capitation, bundled services, or any other name, cost-containment drives health care today, with physicians and administrators having to work together, across the silos of health care, to rethink and retool systems and protocols while maintaining quality.
Investing in training your physician leaders to be more effective meets these goals and brings major benefits to the entire organization.
Benefits to Physicians:
- Becoming more productive leaders
- Handling conflict effectively
- Dealing with disruption from other clinicians
- Knowing process to get things done
- Working with people whose communication styles differ from their own
- Engaging physicians who are resistant but may have information critical to success
- Inspiring physicians to cooperate on critical projects in the absence of immediate incentives
- Becoming skilled at identifying young talent, effectively creating a physician leadership pipeline
Benefits to Patients:
- Reduced medical errors
- Reduced length of stay in the hospital
- Reduced risk of infection
- Lower mortality
- Greater access and continuity among caregivers
- Better overall quality of care
- Improved community of caregivers
Benefits to the Organization:
- Improved safety and a reduction in medical errors
- Reduced liability
- Shortened length of stay
- Improvement in the organization’s bottom-line
- Improved staff retention
- Reduced disruptive behavior
- Improved quality via standardization
- Reduced equipment costs
- Improved compliance with the Joint Commission